Tuesday, November 18

a better country


I have been here three months now.

A lot comes to mind when I look at the sentence above. I spent some time recently reflecting on what a rich experience I've had in such a short span of months. I'll spare you the details, and they're just for me anyway, but I will say this: it's been good. Not really easy (those days don't often make the blog), but absolutely and consistently good.

The only other way I can sum up my take on the last three months is by directing you here, to a translation of Hebrews, chapter 11*. The author is talking about the idea of faith--"being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see," (v. 1) and giving his readers many examples of people who have lived out their faith boldly. My favorite part lies in verses 13-16:

"13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one."

I don't know. When I read this, I am reminded that I will always be a foreigner in a place that doesn't feel as comfortable or livable as I'd like it to be. This constant restlessness will always lead me back to Jesus.


*This is a New International Version translation, but the Bible I have with me here is a Holman Christian Standard Bible--the language is a bit more updated and most scriptures have links to cross-references. The Message is another good translation to pair with whatever you might be reading--the language is almost conversational. Click around the translations on the website I've linked above if you want.

No comments: