Monday, December 8

help my friend!

Meet my friend Barb. Barb is from my hometown of Butler, PA, but we didn't meet each other until we became co-counselors at Summer's Best Two Weeks, the Christian athletic camp I attended as a kid and worked at all through college. We totally hit it off (holler cabin 3), and the next year were co-counselors for my dear cabin 14 (Barb is in the green visor up there in the corner):


In short, Barb is one of my dearest friends because she's a great listener, she's lots of fun, and her life's twists and turns have been remarkably similar to mine. And also because I crashed her mom's car in Nashville during Passion '06 (long story) and her family showed more grace to me than I've ever felt in almost any other situation.

So. You may be thinking, That's great Beth, and boy do you look like you're 12 in that red and blue picture there, but why are you telling me about Barb?


Well. Barb is currently teaching high school English in West Philadelphia through a program that's similar to Teach for America. Her kids come from rough and poor neighborhoods and many are trying to overcome a two grade-level achievement gap. Her classroom is impossibly hot (yes, even in December) so she's trying to raise money for a small A/C unit.

I would LOVE for you to join me in donating to this project! Perhaps you're busy and don't have time to do an Angel Tree project this year, or maybe you simply know you can live without $10 and could send it her way with a few clicks. Either way, I know Barb and her kids would appreciate it.

CLICK HERE to read more about Barb's class and how you can donate.

No comments: