Saturday, August 30

a trip to the naschmarkt

Most of the students and I got up early this morning to head to the Naschmarkt, Vienna's famous hodgepodge of food stands, restaurants, and (on Saturdays) an enormous flea market. People have sold food and drink there since the 1500s. I continue to marvel at how very old the buildings, streets, and traditions are in Europe.


We arrived around 10am, and I was promptly swept away in the river-like motion of people moving between the stalls. The colors and smells were wonderful, but the cacophony of vendors yelling, carts pushing, and customers ordering/milling/talking/pushing was overwhelming. I walked with the crowd, clutching my small backpack in front of me, and tried to consider each stall from an artistic (do I want to take a picture of this?) and pragmatic (do I want to buy this food/flower bouquet/spice now, or see what else comes along?) point of view.


I bought some dried oregano, rosemary, and thyme (George, I may be emailing you about the masacarpone/rosemary/roast beef pizza recipe). I imagine people probably bargain over prices for produce, but I wasn't about to dispute what was printed on the bags pictured below.


I kept thinking of my sweet friends from Winston. We cooked together a lot, and I know we'd all have a field day at the Naschmarkt searching for the perfect feta cheese. Miss you all. And I do not know whether the cheese below is anything close to feta or not...


I will like this place. I think I will come here on Monday mornings, after I sit in on the students' German class. Saturdays are too much.



No comments: