Tuesday, September 16

schottenstift abbey

And just like that, it was winter.



Okay, not winter exactly. After living in the South for six years, though, my tolerance for cold weather has gone out the window. Monikierken's cold, rainy weather had found its way to Vienna by the time we returned Sunday night, and it's been just gross outside ever since.

Still, there's been much to do and see.

I accompanied the students on another Art History tour yesterday afternoon. We met our professor at the Schottenstift Abbey, a monastery founded by Duke Henry II in 1155
(click here to read a little about him and see his statue outside the monastery). Dr. H first took us down into the crypts, which used to have sandy floors and candles lighting the way for burials and services. As you can see below, the area has been totally updated for an extra worship room, but people are still buried all around.


And by all around, I mean in the walls (behind these plaques, for example):


...And in really old caskets.


Duke Henry II brought his favorite monks to this monastery. The monks were from Ireland and Scotland, and were known to be well-educated and eager to help others in basic ways--they founded lots of hospitals and started a school in 1310 that still runs today. This hand-written section of the Old Testament has a Celtic vibe, don't you think?



I can't quite describe why I loved this place so much. I just really loved it. As with so many places in Vienna, I had the distinct sense that much had happened where I was standing.



Another section of the building houses an incredible variety of paintings, including a really interesting panel called the "Schottenmeister-Altar". Didn't get a great picture, but here's some of it:


The panels were completed by anonymous artists during the 15th century and depict various scenes from Jesus's life and crucifixion. Funny thing is, they also depict various scenes of 15th century Vienna. In fact, we were told that the city scenes behind Jesus (and the unmistakable roof of St. Stephen's Cathedral) comprise the oldest topographically correct view of Vienna.

So yes, a good tour. Had dinner with my US Embassy friend Michael (Japanese food tastes especially good after a weekend of Austrian cuisine), and came home to spend some good time talking with the students.

--

This morning, I attended my first Bible study in Vienna. A group of about 15 women from my church will meet every Wednesday for the next 8 months to go through a book of scriptures and challenges written especially for women. My two
new favorite women from the morning are Georgia and Kirsten. Georgia is a beautiful older women from Tanzania who lives here because her husband works for the UN. She helps take care of seven children who still live in Tanzania and told heartbreaking stories about the difficulties they've had there. Kirsten, on the other hand, is from Memphis. We were both in Nashville at the same time; she went to Belmont and graduated in '04! She married her high school sweetheart, who plays trombone for the Vienna Staatsoper Orchestra (read: bigtime). They're expecting their first child in a few months.

I continue to marvel at the connections I've made during my first month in this place.

Tomorrow, I will meet with a counselor who works for the Vienna Christian School and finally start to piece together how I can be of service to their students. I'll also get to have dinner with a family from my church--they live just a few blocks away, and I look forward to getting to know them a bit.

No comments: