I enjoyed a run/walk/window shop this afternoon. The weather has been beautiful this week, so I thought I'd take a few pictures around my neighborhood for you.
Here's what my street looks like right now:

At Turkenshanz Park--a big green space with running trails, a few ponds, playgrounds, and a good restaurant. The park is less than two blocks from our house:

Lots of rich colors around...

This is Sievering, one of my favorite neighborhoods. In the distance are some vineyards and the Vienna Woods.

I spent a little time in a large cemetary, located near Sievering (a ten minute walk from home). This site was particularly striking, but all the sites were unique and strangely beautiful. I decided not to take other pictures after this one--particularly because there were a few people in other parts of the cemetary, I didn't want to appear disrespectful. I wondered if it was disrespectful to photograph gravesites as art even if no one sees me doing it.

These hydrangeas, which belong to a home down the street from me, are starting to dry up.

German engineering at its finest, and a distant uncle of my dear Jetta. (I don't miss driving nearly as much as I thought I would.)

A home down the street:

This evening, I went to a clothing swap with a bunch of female teachers from the Vienna Christian School (everyone brings clothes that don't work for them anymore, and you can pick out new things from among the piles). I met three girls my age (FINALLY!!) and really enjoyed talking with them. One of them, who hosted the party, lives only 4 U-bahn (metro) stops away from the one closest to me!
What a blessing it was to meet these girls. I wish I had another week before Fall Break (I leave for Dublin on Friday) to plan a coffee date or two, but trust that they'll still be around and willing to hang out with me when I get back. I have been lucky to meet a lot of older women with families who are interested in me and eager to get to know me well, but I really would love to have some girlfriends at some point. Patience, right?
What a blessing it was to meet these girls. I wish I had another week before Fall Break (I leave for Dublin on Friday) to plan a coffee date or two, but trust that they'll still be around and willing to hang out with me when I get back. I have been lucky to meet a lot of older women with families who are interested in me and eager to get to know me well, but I really would love to have some girlfriends at some point. Patience, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment