Tuesday, October 7

nothing like a room full of 3rd graders

What a fun surprise it was a few hours ago to see that I had just missed a Skype call from Mrs. Johnson's third grade class from Summit School! (I interned at Summit last year while working on my masters, and worked there after graduation and throughout the summer).

I called her back immediately. The next thing I knew, rows of children were yelling "HI MS. MARTIN!!!!!" at the top of their lungs, waving ecstatically, and making weird faces at me. So I sat in the living room, smiling and waving at my sweet second graders who are now third graders, and telling them that I have already had dinner (even though they've just had lunch), that no, it's not raining over here right now, and no, there are no kangaroos in Austria.

It feels good to be missed.

Mrs. Johnson gave me contact information for a friend of hers who is living in Vienna (as the children proceeded to jump up and down, give her bunny ears, and make more faces at me), so I'll look forward to following up on that soon. We also made tentative plans for me to have another Skype date with the class to talk more about life in Austria.

No comments: